Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The American way

Hi,
Musing#13
Am Back from my sabbatical, after spending two months in the U.S. Before going on this sabbatical had committed to myself (after goading from many of my well wishers) to give up smoking and lose some weight.
I'm happy I could fulfill both these commitments. I've not smoked for the past two months and also I've lost 8kgs in my weight, which has made me very fit and given me a slim and trim look.
I am thankful to my family and my friend who motivated me and inspired me to achieve this.

I am listing below some of the etiquettes to be observed in the U.S. Which will be useful for all the first time visitors.
1.Hold the door for the people following you.
2.Thank if someone has done this to you or as general courtesy.
3.Mention "you are welcome" if you are thanked.
4.When someone wishes you good day respond by saying "you too".
5. When you enter a restaurant wait to be seated even if the restaurant is empty.
6.In a buffet not to take already used plate but every time to take a fresh plate.
7. Minimum 10% of bill to be given as tip in a restaurant
8. While driving give preference to pedestrians by stopping and allowing them to cross road.
9. Do not honk, it is considered offensive gesture.
10.Do not cut a line in a queue.

I'm also giving below the right words/phrases to be used there.

1. You don't get into a lift to go up but into an elevator.
2. You don't walk on the foot path but on the side-walk.
3.You don't greet people asking "How are you" but "How you're doing".
4.You don't ask for the toilet but for the Rest room.
5.You don't put your baggage in the dicky of the car but in the trunk of the car.
6.You don't ask for take away in restaurant but ask for "to go".
7. You don't fill petrol into your car but fill gas.
8.You don't calculate mileage by Km per litre. but by miles per gallon.
9. You won't be given a challan for over speeding but given a ticket.
10. You refer to black people as African American.

I hope all these will be useful for all those first time visitors to the U.S.
mentor mohan



No comments: